CSAFE serves as a rigorous research center committed to applying proven statistical and scientific methods to improve the accuracy of the analysis and interpretation of forensic evidence. We collaborate with statisticians, scientists, forensic practitioners and other stakeholders to pursue this common goal.
Fair administration of justice requires the existence of scientifically valid methods to analyze evidence, relevant databases to support the analyses, and appropriate interpretations of the results of forensic evaluations.
HISTORY of CSAFE
A Nation's Call to Action
- A lack of scientifically valid methods to analyze and interpret evidence.
- A dearth of representative databases to develop new methods or test existing ones.
- Few well-designed studies to estimate error rates including reliability and reproducibility of technologies used almost daily in court.
- Chronically underfunded forensic science research.
- Understaffed and overwhelmed crime labs.