The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has announced the dates for its annual Forensics@NIST. The virtual event will be held Nov. 8–10, 2022.
Forensics@NIST will feature presentations from NIST scientists on how they are using advanced methods in metrology, computer science and statistics to strengthen forensic science. The topics to be covered are:
- statistical methods in forensic science
- firearms and toolmarks
- forensic genetics
- digital and multimedia
As a NIST Center of Excellence, the Center for Statistics and Applications in Forensic Evidence (CSAFE) will present on Nov. 10 from 2:45–4:15 p.m. EST. CSAFE researchers will provide an overview of the CSAFE resources available to the forensic science community and give updates on firearms and toolmarks, bloodstain pattern and handwriting analysis projects.
NIST will also hold optional workshops on Nov. 14–15, 2022. Each workshop is limited to 175 attendees, and registrations will be approved on a first-come, first-serve basis. Attendees must attend the main sessions on Nov. 9–10 to register for a workshop. The list of workshops is below:
- How It’s Made: NIST Forensic DNA Reference Materials
- NIST 2022 Forensic Cannabis Workshop
- Mass Spectral Interpretation – Tips and Tools for GC-EI-MS and High-Resolution MS Data
- Process Mapping
- Application & Implementation of 3D Technology, Algorithms, and Statistics for Forensic Firearm and Toolmark Analysis
For more information or to register, visit https://www.nist.gov/news-events/events/2022/11/forensicsnist-2022.